- Little dandelions, what are
you doing here ?
We reflect on earth the stars in the Heavens.
- Little pool, why is your water
so muddy ?
Because of my narrow mind and depthless heart.
- Coal, what makes you so
I am the evil of the ages accumulated in the heart of the earth.
- What is your penalty ?
I must pass through the trial by fire.
- What becomes of you in the end ?
I turn into a diamond.
Earth to the clouds:
"Why did you come back after once you had deserted me ?"
"The Heavens would not have us before we had reconciled ourselves with you".
5. - Little rosebud, what do you
hold between your hands ?
The secret of my beauty.
- Sunflower, what are you ?
I am the eye of the seeker who searches for the light.
- Death, what are you ?
I am the shadow of life.
- Death, of what are you born ?
I am born of ignorance.
- Death, where is your abode ?
My abode is in the mind of illusion.
- Death, do you ever die ?
Yes, when pierced by the arrow of the seer's glance.
- Death, whom do you draw near to you ?
I draw him closer who is attracted to me.
- Death, whom do you love ?
I love him who longs for me.
- Death, whom do you attend ?
I readily attend him who calls on me.
- Death, whom do you frighten ?
I frighten the one who is not familiar with me.
- Death, whom do you caress ?
The one who lies trustfully in my arms.
- Death, with whom are you severe ?
I am severe with him who does not readily respond to my call.
- Death, whom do you serve ?
I serve the godly, and when he returns home I carry his bagage.
Boat: "I take you in my bosom on
Waggon: "I carry you on my back on the land".
- Roseflower, why are your lips
I am thinking over my glorious past.
10. - Why do you rise wave, with
the coming of the wind ?
To receive the message it brings.
Moth: "I gave you my life".
Flame: "I allowed you to kiss me".
- Sea, why is your colour blue ?
It is Heaven reflected in my white heart.
- Earth, tell me your moral
I lay myself before those who pass over me,
and to those who come unto me, to them I open my heart.
- Night, why do you cry so
I cry over the loving souls whom life has thrown apart,
and those whom destiny will separate one day.
- Night, why are you so dark ?
Light has left me.
- Night, what makes you so beautiful ?
The coming of the moon, which has brought me wisdom's message.
15. - Wind, what makes the sea
respond to you so wholeheartedly ?
In her I have touched her deepest chord.
- Wind, what have you done to thrill the whole being of the sea to passion ?
Nothing, only given a kiss.
"SO" gives rise to an argument.
"WHY?" continues it. And it ends in "NO".
- What sense is there, O moth,
in burning yourself in trying to kiss the light ?
My joy in it is greater than my sacrifice.
- Waves, why does the wind come
and then go from you ?
It comes to wake us, and leaves us to solve the problem among ourselves.
- Moving waves, the wind has left you and you are still in commotion.
We are still repeating the word it has taught us; it moves our whole being to
- Waves, why do you all become
excited and then all calm together ?
Because behind our individual action there is one impulse working.
- Rising waves, what motive is behind your impulse ?
The desire to reach upward.
- Sea, what is it that makes you
so chaotic ?
No sooner does the air wisper to my ears the message of wisdom,
than an enormous trouble begins within myself.
20. - Storm, you invade us
suddenly without any warning.
I send my ultimatum by the hand of the wind before starting gunfire.
- Storm, why are the clouds being scattered now ?
I have given orders for demobilisation.
- Storm, why do you send the rain after you have gone ?
To make peace with the earth.
Man: "Devil, will you be my
Devil: "I am at your disposal".
Waves: "Do we not lay ourselves
in complete surrender before you, for you to pass over us ?
Then listen to our request: throw into the water those you carry in your
Boat: "No, I am not like you who
drown beneath your feet those who seek refuge in your arms.
The ones I hold in my heart, either I sink with them or I carry them
safely to their destination".
- Earthly riches, explain to me
I fly from the hand that holds me,
I escape from the one who pursues me,
I fall into his purse who collects me,
I live with him who spares me,
I leave the one who does not look after me,
I keep away from him who has me not.
The one who does not possess me is poor indeed,
but the one who possesses me is poorer still.