Sundew, why is it that every
insect dies instantly when it kisses you ?
- I like him so much that I devour him.
Sundew, where did you learn this philosophy ?
- Once upon a time a voice said to me,
"I am the love and I am the life, and whosoever cometh to me
I embrace him and turn him into my own being"
Celandine, what is your
- I am a little light of the earth.
Rosebud, what didst thou do
all night ?
- With folded hands I was praying to heaven to open my heart.
Waterlily, what do you
represent by you white garb ?
- The purity at the heart of this lake.
Tulip, why have you opened
your lips ?
- To tell you what I have learned in the silence.
What did you learn ?
- To make of myself an empty cup.
Orchid, what do your petals
- Graceful movements of the dance.
What does your dance express ?
- The earth paying homage to heaven.
Litle daisies, why do you keep
so close to earth ?
- Because earth is the home of all mortal beings.
Little daisies, what gospel do you preach ?
- Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Little daisies, for what are you here ,
- To reflect heaven on earth.
Little daisies, what is your daily duty ?
- To console the hearts that are trodden upon.
Little daisies, what are you doing here in the churchyard ?
- We worship God by bowing at the feet of His creatures.
Cactus, why are you fringed
with thorns ?
- I am the tongue of the malicious man.
Cactus why is your stem so thorny ?
- I am the hand of the evil doer.
Cactus, why have you thorns on your leaf also ?
- I am the heart of the wicked who take pleasure in hurting others.
Beautiful gorse bushes, what
are you here for ?
- We are little lanterns on your path.
But from where do you get your prickly thorns ?
- Flowers from above, thorns from below.
Rosebush, what are you, friend
or foe ?
- I am both, for my flowers are the caress of a friend, and my thorns the
sting of a foe.
Wheatgrains, why do you grow
so close together ?
- Unity is our strength; that is why you seek in us your life-sustenance.
Palm tree, what do your
outstretched hands signify ?
- I raise my hands heavenwards when I pray, and then I pass the blessing on to
Pine trees, what are you ?
- We are the phantoms of sages who preferred vigil in the forest solitude to
life in the world.
Pine trees, what do your branches signify ?
- Hands stretched out from heaven to bless the earth.
Pine trees, for what are you made ?
- We are temples erected for the worshippers of God in nature.
Pine trees, tell me your life's secret.
- We are the shadows of souls on the cross, awaiting patiently the hour of
Dry wood, why do they burn you
- Because I no longer can bear fruit.
Thunderstorm, what gives you
this emotion ?
- My passion for the earth.
Full moon, where will you be
going from here ?
- Into a retreat.
Why do you take a retreat after fulness ?
- To make myself an empty vessel in order to be filled again.
Church bell, what do you
- The sacred name of God, which resounds through my whole being.
Church bell, what do you proclaim ?
- I proclaim that every head which resounds like mine spreads abroad the
Message of God.
Church bell, what makes you move ?
- The Word of God.
Incense, what were you
whispering at the church service ?
- No prayer can reach God unless it arises from a burning heart.
Incense, what did you preach at the church ?
- He who endureth pain in the cause of others
must rise from the mortal world to the spheres of immortality.
Incense, what does your perfume signify ?
- My perfume is the evidence of my self-sacrifice.
Incense, tell me what moral is veiled in your nature.
- When my heart endures the test of fire, my hidden quality becomes manifest.
Incense, tell me the secret of your being.
- I am the heart of the lover of God,
whose deep sigh rises upward, spreading its perfume all around.
Money, what do you signify ?
- I am the seal of hearts; a heart once sealed by me will love no one but me.
When you leave, what
becomes of your lover ?
- I leave behind a mark on my lover's heart which remains always as a wound.
Money, what do you like most ?
- Changing hands.
Where is your dwelling place ?
- In the heart of my worshipper.
Where do you accumulate ?
- Where I am warmly welcomed.
Where do you stay ?
- Where I am adored.
Money, whom do you seek ?
- Him who seeks me.
Money, whom do you obey ?
- Him who has risen above me. I become his slave and lie as dust at his feet.
Devil, where do you find your
- In doubting eyes, in a sharp tongue, in a gossiping mouth,
in inquisitive ears, in idle hands, in restless feet, in a vicious body,
in a crooked mind, in a bitter heart and in a darkened soul.
Devil, how do you express yourself ?
- In winking eyes, in sneering smiles, in cutting words and in false tears.
Match stick, what did you
say, when I struck you ?
- Why ?
"WHY", what are you ?
- I am the cry of he hungry mind.
"WHY", what do you signify ?
- I am the knocker on the closed door to which I am attached.
"WHY", what do you represent ?
- The owl which cannot see during the day.
"WHY", what is your complaint ?
- The irritation of mind.
"WHY", what is your life-condition ?
- I am shut up in a dark room.
"WHY", how long will your captivity last ?
- All night long.
"WHY", what are you so eagerly waiting for ?
- The daybreak.
"WHY", you are yourself the cover over the answer you want.